Friday, June 27, 2014

What the Heart wants

Two days ago, as I was bringing my dad back from an eye check up, he felt discomfort and closeness in his chest and sat down. A wonderful set of doctors and other medical professionals stabilised him at the eye hospital, and we subsequently took him to a regular ER set up..

What touched me is when I offered to pay the first team of doctors for their services, they refused he payment but urged me to take him post haste to a better equipped place.. What a contrast to the commercially compulsive hospitals we took him to later..

While the care they gave him was definitely adequate and competent, what was missing was the spirit of service we saw at the eye hospital which is run by a charitable trust.. And once more through the harrowing experience of seeing my dad through this episode, the vacuum in our healthcare systems for the spirit of service, came home to me again.

I have absolutely nothing against commercially viable services being offered in healthcare.. But I feel that the line should be drawn along ethical lines as to what makes the organisation commercially viable and what makes it a racket..unfortunately, I sense that the lines are far too fuzzy for comfort at this point.. What the heart wants, what we all need, is care with a spirit of service to the sick and ailing.. Remember the oath we know doctors take?

Having said that, I doff my hat to the wonderful folks, and I know there are still some left, who imbibe this spirit and also are exceptional professionals. May your tribe increase. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment